Saturday, January 06, 2007

Unlimited-Ammo: Premature Eradication!

Way back when, Matt Simmons, Nick Gibbons and myself decided to do an anthology of our own zombie comic strips and ultimately, pull them together to make a comic called 'Swords are for Zombies'. Matt and Nick slowly got busier with their own projects and SAFZ sank into the shadows from whence it came. I decided to keep mine going and titled it Unlimited-Ammo.

Ok enough backstory...Nick did this one strip that was so GENIUS that a couple of years later, I wanted to put in the U-A series. I no longer have the original comic (hard drive explosion) but it's strikingly similar. Here it is now, a rough 'remake' of that very strip.

I had a great time working on this. It's my second 'comic style' page and the first where I got really ambitious with the shading. I used photos of roadsides and thunderstorms for reference, took reference photos of Nick and myself, and "studied" Bill Crabtrees work in Invincible. I'm not sure if I can go back to greyscale...coloring is just too much fun.

Here is the rough layout. It has only slightly changed...definitely for the better.

It's probably gonna be a while before the next comic is released. I had an idea on the way to work and Nick liked it. It's probably gonna be 4 pages or so.

3 comments:

  1. Nothing makes me smile more than seeing myself blow off my own head, rendered so beautifully. Great job Tom!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ew! Ha ha, but well done, Mr. Saville :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, fellas (and fellete)! :)

    ReplyDelete